Rewa Ultra Mega Solar Project

Top 10 Facts Of Asia’s Largest 750 MW Solar Plant Rewa

Post Industrial Revolution, energy has been one of the most sought after needs of mankind. It had certainly helped facilitate all the technological advancements we see around us today. But the use of unclean energy resources has been taking a toll on us. The need to switch to renewable sources of energy has become more prominent than ever. Above all, India is spearheading that change.

India is one of the largest markets for sources of clean energy like solar, wind, tidal or hydro. Therefore, with India set to grow and increase its economy, it is only sensible that it gets rid of its dependence on dirty fuel.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi in a speech through video conferencing gifted India the largest solar plant in Asia. The Rewa Solar Power Project in Madhya Pradesh. Subsequently, with this India is among the top 5 nations in the world harnessing solar energy. The Rewa solar plant is divided into three solar parks of 250 MW each. It has the capacity to produce 750 MW of electricity.

Let us look at 10 facts about Rewa Solar Plant:

  • Madhya Pradesh Urja Vikas Nigam Limited and Solar Energy Corporation of India formed Rewa Ultra Mega Solar Project Limited(RUMSL) for this project in 1500 hectares of land.
  • The central government had sanctioned 138 crore Indian rupees to RUMSL for this project.
  • Through reverse auctioning, ACME Jaipur Solar Power Private Limited, Mahindra Renewables Private Limited and Arinsun Clean Energy Private Limited subsequently developed 250 MW each of this 750 MW facility.
  • It is the first solar plant in the country which has supposedly broken the “Grid parity barrier”. It has managed to reduce costs from Rs. 4.50 per unit in early 2017 to Rs. 2.97 per unit now. The tariff increase is going to be 0.05 per unit for the next 15 years and a levelized rate of Rs. 3.30 per unit over the next 25 years.
  • This solar project solidifies India’s commitment to achieve 175 GW target through renewable energy. Out of 175 GW, 100 GW is supposed to be solar. Moreover, the solar plant in Rewa is slated to cut carbon emission by 15 lakh tons of CO2 per year.

An Example For Other States

  • The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy has recommended the model of Solar Plant Rewa to other states. For instance, to adopt its payment security mechanism to reduce risk to power developers. Meanwhile, the whole world is praising India’s robust project structuring and innovations.
  • In a first of its kind move, the Rewa Solar Plant will provide electricity to beneficiaries outside the state like Delhi Metro getting 24% and the rest 76% used by Madhya Pradesh.
  • Rewa Solar Power Project has been bestowed with the World Bank Group President’s Award was for its innovation and excellence.
  • PM Modi has said that the idea behind ‘One World, One Sun, One Grid’ is to fulfil the needs of many smaller nations.
  • In addition, this project finds mention in the PM’s “A book of Innovations: New Beginnings.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *